Monday, January 10, 2011

The burning question - Why all the travel?


I think I am prepared to answer the burning question, "why do you guys travel so much?" Some friends and family think it is strange or weird that we are always jetting off to here and there. Others support our passion and are happy for us to be able to get out and see the world! Some reasons are more personal than others, but I will try to sum up some reasons why we have caught this travel bug!

Some travel is definitely business related for Sam, and I have a "gift" for making a business trip to Bangkok a family holiday in Paris! Since Paris is half way to Bangkok, why not drop Olivia and I off half-way? Then come and join us and see the sites when you are finished your work in Asia! Often the North American trips are business and Olivia and I just tag along, such as NYC. Sam's business being online can travel with him wherever he goes, so some holidays are iPhone friendly while others are not. I was amazed when he picked up signal on his iPhone while on safari in the Maasai Mara in Kenya, Africa! We also have family that live abroad(Panama) or friends(UK) that we visit, which we always look forward to.

Another reason I truly believe that drives us to want to see the world, is that I have a serious back disease/condition that is unpredictable. I worry that as the different conditions/diseases in my spine evolve, I may not always be able to travel due to pain, or I may not be able to walk independently. We have been able to manage the past 7 years with many pain medications and treatments. If I am unable to travel in 10 years, I will feel satisfied that I saw my fair share of the world and really experienced many different places and cultures with my family. If this does happen, I will encourage Sam to take Olivia to all kinds of wonderful places. As a child we didn't travel very far, and I want Olivia to learn all about this beautiful world we live in.

We are blessed for our good fortune, and that Sam can work while we are away, so scheduling works well since I am a stay at home mom. Soon Olivia will be in school full-time and we won't be able to take her out of class all the time, so we are doing it while we can! We will still take her to amazing places when she is in school full-time, as we both feel strongly that the very best learning happens from experience.

So there you have it - this is the story behind the 3 travelbugs!

No comments:

Post a Comment